The Granola Mafia might get me for this (oh, it exists) but question – how much do you spend on granola and breakfast bars? And look at the ingredients; they’re not always that great. If you make your own you get to put in them exactly what you want to end up with something healthy, inexpensive and made exactly to your tastes.
Granola bars, squares, cookies etc. are really easy to make and you can add whatever you like to them. Once you start making them you’ll have your own signature mix down pat and you’ll find what works for you.
Note – I tend not to make bars because making “cookies” or little clumps is easier, I don’t need to cool them and then cut. But if you like the square or bar form you can easily just spread the mixture into a pan, bake, cool and then slice.
(The Passage of Time)
What’s in them:
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of trail mix*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
* This is the part where you can get creative and add whatever you like. I used a mix or raisins, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts in mine.
What you do:
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F and grease your cookie tray or baking pan.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix the dough. (I find using my hands is way easier than a spoon since the dough is so thick and that way I can make sure it’s mixed evenly.)
- Spoon the mixture onto a tray to form little balls, and then flatten them out slightly on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until you can see them browning a bit. You don’t want to overcook them or they won’t be chewy.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
I like to wrap the finished cookies separately and freeze them so they keep longer. That way you just take them out of the freezer as you need them and they de-thaw by lunch time!